Invitd is operated by HarperCollins Canada Ltd (“HCC”), 22 Adelaide St. West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5H 4E3.
To access and use the Services, Users will be required to set up an account with their email address, name, and a password (your “Account”). All Users must be age of majority in their province or territory of residence. The email address Users provide will be their login name. Users are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of their Account password and for all activities that occur under their Account. Therefore, Users should protect their password and make their password difficult for others to guess. Users will not transfer their Account to another party without our consent.
There are two types of Accounts: Author Accounts and Reader Accounts.
Users creating Author Accounts may be required to provide additional information, including providing a biography, list of published of titles, and other information. We also reserve the right to request further information from Users requesting Author Accounts, including an author-associated email address, to verify User identity and to refuse access to the Services if Users refuse to do so or provide misleading information.
Using the Services.
Our Services include an ability to send messages between Author Accounts and Reader Accounts. They further include an ability for Author Accounts to post biographical and other information about themselves on the Invitd site. Those messages and posted content must not:
· Violate our Community Guidelines;
· Include content that is false or misleading;
· Infringe any third-party right;
· Contain spam, chain letters, or pyramid schemes;
· Distribute viruses or any other technologies that may harm Invitd or the interests or property of Invitd users; or
· Harvest or otherwise collect information about others, including email addresses, without their consent.
Abuse of the Services.
Should a User come to believe that any other User is violating the above criteria, the Community Guidelines, or otherwise abusing the Services, please contact email@example.com with specifics of the violation in question. In our sole discretion we may limit or terminate User access to our Services and otherwise take technical and legal steps to address abuse. In any event, we accept no liability for monitoring messaging on our Services or for the transmission of any unauthorized or unlawful content on the Services by Users.
We currently provide the Services for free. Readers may elect to pay authors for their attendance at events or for other services resulting from a connection via our Services. Any such payments or arrangements are specific to the Reader Account(s) and Author Account(s) in question and while we do not prohibit such arrangements, they are not endorsed or sponsored by Invitd and we take no responsibility for the fulfillment of any such obligations.
The Services contain content provided by Invitd and by our Users. Users agree not to copy, modify, resell, or distribute the Services, our copyrights, or trademarks. When Users send or post content via our Services, they are granting us a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable right to reproduce, host, post, and distribute that content for the purposes of providing the Services. If a User believes that their rights have been violated, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org and we will investigate the matter. We reserve the right to remove content where we have grounds for suspecting the violation of these terms or the rights of any other party.
Disclaimers and Limitations of Liability.
The Services are provided “as is” and “as available”. Users:
· Agree that Invitd, HCC, their affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, agents, and employees (together “Harper”) will not be held responsible for the content or actions of other Users, even if those actions are carried out via the Services.
· Agree that Harper will not be held responsible for the payment or fulfillment of any obligations under agreements between readers and authors. For avoidance of doubt, Harper will not be liable for any loss, claims, or damages arising from Users’ private dealings with other Users, explicitly including an author’s failure to appear on an agreed upon time and date or a reader’s failure to make any agreed upon payment.
· Understand and accept that Harper makes no guarantee of accuracy, completeness, or quality of any representations made by other Users. For avoidance of doubt, Harper does not warrant that any User on the Services is who they claim to be.
· Understand and accept that Harper does not guarantee continuous or secure access to our Services, or that the Services will continue. Messaging functionality in our Services may not occur in real time. Such functionality is subject to delays beyond our control. Accordingly, to the extent legally permitted, Harper expressly disclaims all warranties, representations, and conditions, express or implied, including those of quality, merchantability, merchantable quality, durability, fitness for a particular purpose, and those arising by statute.
· Understand and agree that Harper is not liable for any loss, whether of money (including profit), goodwill, or reputation, or any special, indirect, or consequential damages arising out of Users’ use of the Services, even if Users advise us or we could reasonably foresee the possibility of any such damage occurring.
Despite the previous paragraph, if we are found to be liable, our liability to a User or any third party (whether in contract, tort, negligence, strict liability in tort, by statute, or otherwise) is limited to $100 CAD.
Users indemnify and hold harmless Harper from any claim made by any third party, together with any amounts payable to the third party whether in settlement or as may otherwise be awarded, and reasonable legal costs incurred by Harper, arising from or relating to Users’ use of the Services, any alleged violation by a User of the applicable terms, and any alleged violation by a User of any applicable law or regulation. Harper reserves the right, at its own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter subject to indemnification by a User but doing so will not excuse that User’s indemnity obligations.
By using Services, Users agree to the collection, transfer, storage, and use of their personal information by HCC (the "data controller") on servers located outside of Canada, including in the United States, as further described in our Privacy Notice.
These terms and the other policies posted on the Services constitute the entire agreement between us and our Users, superseding any prior agreements. This agreement is governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein. Unless prohibited by law, we both submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Ontario. If we don't enforce any particular provision, we are not waiving our right to do so later. If a court strikes down any of these terms, the remaining terms will survive. We may automatically assign this agreement in our sole discretion. Except for notices relating to illegal or infringing content, any User notices to us must be sent by registered mail to:
HarperCollins Canada Ltd
22 Adelaide St. West, 41st Floor
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ATTN: Invitd User Inquiries
We will send notices to Users via the email address they provide. We may update this agreement at any time, with updates taking effect when a User next uses the site or after 30 days, whichever is sooner.
Welcome to the Invitd community! This is a safe space for readers to invite authors to attend their book club meetings. These guidelines set out our expectations for communications on our platform. These should be read with and do not replace our Term of Use.
We want everyone who is part of our community to feel safe and welcome. To help everyone enjoy the Invitd community, we ask that when you are participating in a book club meeting, you keep in mind the following:
Invitd aims to create a welcoming environment. As a member of Invitd, you agree to treat everyone with respect.
We do not allow defamatory, indecent, offensive, profane, discriminatory, misleading, unlawful, or threatening comments of any kind on the Invitd platform.
Personal attacks, name-calling, hate speech, trolling, and abuse will not be tolerated on the Invitd platform.
Being part of Invitd requires mutual trust and respect. Authentic, expressive discussions make book club meetings great, and therefore all opinions must be treated with mutual respect, unless they violate aforementioned rules.
Invitd is entitled to deny entry or revoke access to any member if they do not follow the Invitd Community Guidelines.
We encourage your feedback and aim to respond to your comments in a timely manner. If you have a question or if you’d like to chat with a member of the Invitd team, please contact us at email@example.com.